Addressing Abdominal Pain in Houston
Get the Emergency Medical Care You Deserve
Almost everyone, young or old, has experienced abdominal pain at some point. In many cases, it’s easy to pinpoint the source of the pain, such as a spicy meal that didn’t agree with you. But other times it may not be as simple to diagnose, or to treat.
Abdominal pain can be caused by a variety of ailments or conditions, and can range from mild to severe no matter what the cause.
Some causes of abdominal pain are:
- Menstrual cramps
- Food allergies
- Food poisoning
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Crohn’s disease
If you or a loved one are suffering from abdominal pain in the Houston area, it’s important to be able to recognize serious symptoms and know when to seek medical attention. Call (281) 572-5505 today to speak to our team at EmergiCare Emergency Room.
When to Seek Medical Attention
You should always seek medical attention right away if your abdominal pain is severe, or if it is accompanied by any of these symptoms, which could indicate an internal problem that needs attention:
- Inability to keep food down for more than two days
- Constipation accompanied by vomiting
- Vomiting blood
- Blood in the stool
- Breathing difficulty
- Painful or frequent urination
- Pain occurs during pregnancy
- Abdomen tender to the touch
- Pain follows an injury to the abdomen
- Pain lasts for several days
If you do need to seek medical attention, you can help your doctor better diagnose and treat your pain by giving him as much information as possible.
Helpful information would include:
- When the pain first started, and how frequently pain episodes occur
- Whether or not you’ve ever experienced similar pain
- Whether pain episodes begin gradually or occur suddenly
- A description of the severity of the pain
- Whether you’ve found anything that can relieve the pain
- Characteristics of the pain: sharp, dull, stabbing, throbbing, steady, cramping
- Whether there are any accompanying symptoms such as fever, vomiting, chills, sweats, diarrhea, constipation, bleeding
It will also be important that you provide your doctor with a thorough medical history, including any previous illnesses, surgeries, or medical procedures. You should also alert your doctor to any family history of gastrointestinal illness or disease, or if any of your family members are suffering from an illness with symptoms similar to yours. Lastly, it’s critical to be candid with the doctor and medical staff regarding any use of alcohol, smoking, or chemical dependencies as these can also be associated with abdominal pain.
An important note: You should seek immediate medical attention if:
- You experience pain and tenderness to the touch in your lower right abdomen area, especially if you also have a fever and/or vomiting. These may be signs of appendicitis, which requires medical attention right away.
- You are pregnant and have abdominal pain or vaginal bleeding. These may be symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage.
Not all abdominal pain is serious or life-threatening; often it is relatively minor and easily treated. But properly identifying your symptoms and seeking medical attention when necessary can make a big difference.
Call EmergiCare Emergency Room Today
EmergiCare is a fully licensed, freestanding critical care clinic in Houston, Texas, providing the NASA area community with a convenient alternative to overcrowded hospitals and urgent care centers by delivering fast, friendly, high-quality medical treatment in a comfortable neighborhood setting.
For more information about how we can help you handle abdominal pain in the Houston area, call us at (281) 572-5505 today.
Friendly, Helpful & Clean- Ibrahim
Everyone was professional and really friendly!- Rusell
The staff at this facility were excellent- Trish
Amazing service with TOP notch care from everyone- Patient
In Good Hands- Andrea